What is unique about the NW Academy Summer School Trip?
The North of Ireland is unique due to its history and culture. No region within the British Isles has our world famous Irish welcome coupled with scenery which inspired HBO and Disney to shoot Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Our city sits on the border with the Republic of Ireland so this part of the UK is very much part of Europe. Our students enjoy scenery on the Wild Atlantic coast or a trip to the World famous Titanic Museum. Others can star in their very own Riverdance production or 3D print and create in our local Fablab. Our range of activities make an experience with us one you will always remember. Also remember that the cost of living in Derry is much lower than London Edinburgh or Dublin. Eating out and public and private transport costs are up to 50% lower.
Our Summer programme will incorporate Irish mythology, magic fairies storytelling and much more ….. be part of our magical Celtic spirit!
IRELAND …A LAND OF MYTHS AND LEGENDS
Ireland is steeped in a rich, cultural history and the evidence of this can be found in the ruins of ancient monuments Celtic forts and castlel. One of these on the outskirts of Derry predates even the ancient pyramids. Celtic mythology plays a pivotal role in the story of Ireland. Contemporary Ireland offers a range of experiences from vibrant multicultural cities to its unspoiled, green landscape and rugged coastlines. It is a progressive, colourful, and energising place, renowned for its traditional warmth and hospitality. Easily accessible from all over the world, Ireland is the perfect location to experience a vast array of culture and heritage. Derry is ideally located in the north-west of the island and was the worthy recipient of the prestigious title ‘UK City of Culture 2013’.
Derry is the fourth largest city is Ireland and is well known for its musical talent and warm welcome. In 2016 Derry hosted the world renowned Clipper Yacht race for the third time and attracted over 400,000 visitors. It also hosted a Club MTV event in September 2016 right in the heart of the city.
Derry has a rich and colourful arts scene. We have thousands of visitors who come to soak up our traditional Irish music scene or view our boutique art galleries. We celebrate our past with many photographic exhibitions and plays staged by local artists or actors. Our Murals are world famous and attract thousands of visitors every year. The famous Derry Walls which surround the city are also one of the few in Europe still intact since 1613.
Visitors to this unique island can explore the lush, green vegetation set against the back-drop of the Atlantic Ocean and experience exceptional food on an island that prizes creativity in music, literature, art and business. Indeed, Ireland truly captures the imagination.
There are no strangers in Ireland…only friends that you have not met yet!
Facts about Derry and the North West Academy:
- Derry is ranked one of the safest cities in the UK and won the “Purple Award”
- Derry has the youngest population in the entire island of Ireland
- Derry is the first ever City of Culture in the North West
- Derry is a city of saints, scholars, singers, dramatists and peacemakers.
- The North West Academy is the largest British Council accredited school in the north of Ireland
- The North West Academy is the only Trinity College exam centre in the North West of Ireland
- The North West Academy is the only Cambridge exam centre in the North West of Ireland
- The North West Academy has a unique approach to make sure all students are looked after and have very high standards for the welfare of students. The British Council in fact listed our school as one of the safest schools for children.
- The North West Academy is now based in the unique and award-winning Irish Culture Centre building in the city centre and is able to offer exclusive educational programmes which incorporate high technology, interactive learning and cultural activities taught by the best professionals in the island.
- Home from home…”At the NW Academy at the end it doesn’t feel like a school, it is more like a patchwork family”
The North West Academy Summer School programme combines the English language course with a programme of culture, excursions, sports and activities; an ideal programme for students who want to improve their English, meet lots of new people and learn about the Irish culture and history.
Our programmes are fun, full of culture and music, organised by professionals in the sector and taught by highly qualified, motivated teachers.
The English classes are mainly task based and organised around the afternoon social and cultural activities so that students will be prepared and will have a better understanding of the all experience.
The North West Academy offers many bespoke programmes around the world. We deliver many specialist programmes including English combined with Music, English combined with Enterprise and Technology or English combined with History and Peace and Reconciliation.
We are based in a Cultural Centre and all our programmes include a strong cultural element to them.
All our Summer Programmes include:
- English language Course
- Airport Transfers & Meet and Greet
1. English Language Courses
North West Academy provides high quality English language courses for students of all levels. All courses include a variety of teaching techniques which allow students to develop and practise their English in a realistic context.
Our teachers are committed to students’ development and aim to help students improve their English as much as possible.
- Friendly, professional teachers
- Qualified and experienced in all areas of English Language teaching
- Enthusiastic and dedicated to getting the best out of their students
- Native English speaker competence
The North West Academy encourages ‘blended’ learning so all our courses incorporate the use of textbooks, IPADS, e-learning, DVDs, CD- ROMs, computer software and online study materials.
All courses include the following:
- Placement test
- Needs analysis (if applicable)
- Study materials
- Progress tests (if applicable)
- Academic report
- Learning resources for independent study (books, audio-visuals, language learningsoftware)
General English Programme: 15 hours of English per week
The NW Academy organises comfortable, well-maintained and fully-furnished accommodation for all our students. We realise the importance of staying in a comfortable and safe living environment so all our accommodation is inspected on a regular basis to ensure that the high standards required by the British Council are maintained.
Full-Board home stay Accommodation
Homestay is the perfect choice for any student who wishes to learn about the everyday way of life in the UK and Ireland and it gives students plenty of opportunities to practise their English. Furthermore, it will provide them with the support and supervision of a caring home environment.
Our families have been welcoming our students for many years and are inspected on a regular basis. You can choose between single, twin or triple rooms.
Families can be within walking distance from the school (10-15 minutes on foot) or bus distance (max 15-minute bus ride). A weekly bus pass, if needed, is included in the price given below.
Families provide full board accommodation: breakfast, packed lunch and dinner
Full-Board residential Accommodation
The North West Academy owns 2 city centre residences that can host up to 28 students + teachers. In the specific one has just be restored at high standards and is just 100m from the school.
Students will be accommodated in bedrooms of 2, 4 or 6 beds, en-suite and/or with shared bathrooms. Teachers will have their own room.
Students and teachers will enjoy wide kitchen and living room spaces where relax or study.
Breakfast is provided in the residence. A freshly prepared packed lunch and dinner are provided in the North West Academy school building and partner restaurant.
3. Social and Cultural Activities
Tutors and the students will visit the many hidden gems of Ireland and also the main tourist attractions. Activities are both fun and educational and fully supervised. A sample of the programme is illustrated below.
Planned activities take place every afternoon and 3 evenings per week. Students will take part in a range of different activities from educational to extremely fun. Our Social team designs and delivers a set programme which meets the needs of every group. Every group is different so within the Academy we design activities which appeal to every different age group and nationality. Our activities are centred on culture and music, sport and games, museums and storytelling, and arts and crafts.
Malin Head is the northernmost point on the island of Ireland and one of the location of the last Star Wars movie
The Social team will create different programmes based on the age of the group. Our Academy recognises that social activities should be fun and also a chance for the child to learn something new or add a new skill.
The Social element of the programme allows our students to learn more about the local culture, improve their English language skills and make friends for life.
SAMPLE OF THE PROGRAMME
4. Airport transfer & Meet and Greet
A private group airport transfer is included in the price from the airports of DUBLIN, BELFAST CITY, BELFAST INTERNATIONAL or CITY of DERRY.
A member of staff will meet the group and tutors on arrival and provide a Welcome pack for each student. The Welcome pack contains a Student Handbook, maps, tourist information, a copy of their Social programme, 24/7 emergency contact number, and, in some cases, a local sim card for their telephone.
Having support during your stay is very important and the Academy prides itself on this. The first week is always critical as children adjust to a new climate, language, culture and food. All accompanying Tutors are welcome at our Academy where they can avail of Skype and WIFI. Our staff are always available to discuss elements of the programme or problems that some students may be having. Acting as a team, we can resolve these problems in a better way. The Academy also offers a number of other support elements. These include;
- 24/7 emergency contact service
- Language support
- Our Welfare officers (1 male and 1 female) are available to speak to your students in the school
- Student handbook
- Students induction and orientation
- Free WIFI in the school and accommodation
- Access to canteen and student library
- Free tea, coffee, water and fruit provided in the school
- Ongoing monitoring and final evaluation
- Self-study programme
- Final certificate of attendance
- Final teacher report
Our services include:
- Airport transfer A/R
- Meet and Greet
- Welcome pack
- Induction and orientation
- Full-board accommodation
- English language course (15 hours per week)
- Placement test
- Needs analysis (if applicable)
- Study materials
- Progress tests (if applicable)
- Academic report
- Learning resources for independent study (books, audio-visuals, language learning software)
- Supervision and Activity Programme in the afternoon and 3 evenings per week
- One full day trip during per week
- One half-day trip per week
- Gratuity: 2 tutors for a min of 20 students or 1 tutor every 15 students
The cost of living in this part of Ireland is considerably lower than Dublin. The quality of food is exceptional and the landscape is incredible and used in many films and television productions. Game of Thrones is produced here and the final scenes of the most recent Star Wars film were filmed off the Atlantic Coast. These and many more use the backdrop of the Atlantic.
The most important thing to mention however is the welcome you will get. Irish people are known throughout the world for the warmth of their welcome. Your children will be our children for one month. We are a family owned school and we put children at the centre of everything we do.